Leon, Solicitor
Experience:  BEc Dip Ed, Dip Law (SAB) MTax (UNSW)
12124641

On 05.11.2014 I registered AUSTRANSFORMERS with ASIC. Some

Customer Question

On 05.11.2014 I registered AUSTRANSFORMERS with ASIC. Some months later someone came on my Facebook which is called TRANSFORMERS, and on 20.04.15 he registered a similar name and took out a TM on the name TRANSFORMERS - in the same category, Religious Education/Organisation. He then emailed me (1st May) and said how much he liked what I was doing.
Then on 5th May he sent me nasty emails stating that I was infringing his legal right "he owned the word transformers in Australia etc." I knew he had only applied for it however and it would take several months to be approved (if that eventuated).
What should I do to protect the name (for the many others as well as myself)?
Is it a good move to apply for an IP on the name myself? Thank you for your assistance. I am a missionary and have quite limited resources.
I am a missionary.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 2 years ago.
Good Afternoon
My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question.
You had not registered a trademark?
Expert:  Leon replied 2 years ago.
Good Morning
If you do not have a trade mark registered and they do they are given more rights that you.
They can enforce that against you and demand compensation that you are profiting form their trademark.
I am sorry I cannot give you anything more positive.
If there is nothing further thank you for using my services.
If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know
If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback.
Regards
Expert:  Leon replied 2 years ago.
Good Evening
I'm just following up our discussion earlier this week and seeing whether there is anything else I can assist you with.
If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Regards
Expert:  Leon replied 2 years ago.
Good Afternoon
I look forward to hearing from you.
Regards