How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Leon Your Own Question
Leon, Solicitor
Category: Australia Law
Satisfied Customers: 44349
Experience:  BEc Dip Ed, Dip Law (SAB) MTax (UNSW)
Type Your Australia Law Question Here...
Leon is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I used to owe some money to my ex wife n so as collateral she

Customer Question

I used to owe some money to my ex wife n so as collateral she took my Rolex watches diamond etc. after repaying her all the money and in fact loaning her 30k, she has started ignoring me. I was fine with that given I know that she's got a new partner but I want the watch back due to my family sentimental value. In fact I offered to pay nut yet she turned around n said she's gonna sue me for harassment. Firstly I m overseas for two years n all communications has been through emails n text n I checked that I had never once insulted her nor threaten her. Hence I don't believe she's got grounds for that allegation. Anyhow, I just want my watch back n I have evidence on email she said she would as well as bank statement for the 30k loan. Today I also lodged a police report regarding her Centrelink fraud. Seperate issue. Question is, would the police is also helping me with retrieving the watch given the intent to give her was for our marriage but she left n went off with someone else. Any other advice would also help. Thank you ken
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Australia Law
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I offered to pay her 10k for the watch n even asked her to name a price given it was a gift intended for our marriage which she chose to break it off.
Expert:  Leon replied 2 years ago.
Good Morning
My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question.
The police will tell you it is a civil matter and not get involved.
You will have to come back and sue her in court.
Keep all the emails etc as they are evidence that she has the watch and if she denies it then you can use the emails against her.
When you get back you have to sue her for it.
If you have not been divorced do not do anything because you will only have 12 months to go to court for a property settlement after the divorce is granted.
If you were not married but only engaged then you will have to sue in the local court to get the watch back.
I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If there is nothing further thank you for using my services.
If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know
If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback.