Deborah Awyzio
Deborah Awyzio, Solicitor
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (QUT), BIT (QUT), Family Law Accredited Specialist, over 12 years experience
14265171

I have considerable debt in Singapore. I am a permanent

Customer Question

Hi, I have considerable debt in Singapore. I am a permanent resident (PR)I had lost my job and have not been able to gain employment since. I am an Australian citizen and have been contemplating going back to Australia where I can work and have the support of family. should I leave Singapore I will have to relinquish my PR and almost certainly the banks that I owe money to will start the process of litigation to get it back. There is no way I can repay so I will be forced into bankruptcy. I would be absent from Singapore when this happened. would I be arrested should I ever go back to Singapore?
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 2 years ago.
Good Afternoon
My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question.
If you stay in Singapore and declare bankruptcy you will not be able to leave Singapore.
If you leave Singapore they cannot declare you bankrupt because you are not there.
I hope this makes sense and is of assistance?