How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Deborah Awyzio Your Own Question
Deborah Awyzio
Deborah Awyzio, Solicitor
Category: Australia Law
Satisfied Customers: 863
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (QUT), BIT (QUT), Family Law Accredited Specialist, over 12 years experience
Type Your Australia Law Question Here...
Deborah Awyzio is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have considerable debt in Singapore. I am a permanent

Customer Question

Hi, I have considerable debt in Singapore. I am a permanent resident (PR)I had lost my job and have not been able to gain employment since. I am an Australian citizen and have been contemplating going back to Australia where I can work and have the support of family. should I leave Singapore I will have to relinquish my PR and almost certainly the banks that I owe money to will start the process of litigation to get it back. There is no way I can repay so I will be forced into bankruptcy. I would be absent from Singapore when this happened. would I be arrested should I ever go back to Singapore?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 2 years ago.
Good Afternoon
My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question.
If you stay in Singapore and declare bankruptcy you will not be able to leave Singapore.
If you leave Singapore they cannot declare you bankrupt because you are not there.
I hope this makes sense and is of assistance?