Deborah Awyzio
Deborah Awyzio, Solicitor
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (QUT), BIT (QUT), Family Law Accredited Specialist, over 12 years experience
14265171

If you are a power of attorney parents .Father has

Customer Question

If you are a power of attorney for your parents .Father has passed away mother is still in nursing home. Have taken about 60,000 from their bank account have done everything for them with no help from anyone a brother who wont go near them or help in anyway. can that money be taken off at the end or legally what will happen.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  James D. Ford replied 2 years ago.
What reason was the $60k taken for? your own purposes, or to look after your parents? I await your response before continuing, kind regards, James
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Myself and looking ing after them as I took them to doctors and took them home twice a week for meals. Took them for drives to the beaches walks meals out did their haircuts just generally visiting. We were in Brisbane when I had to travel back and forward and I would stay with them to see what was going on as there neighbour kept telling me to do something as mum had dementia but dad would not tell me. So it was a real struggle to sort things out. So I got mum into a home first and we all moved back to bundaberg. Then dad bought a unit at the home. Then he had a stroke with moving and putting mum in high care I am plagued with arthritis and have had back and leg ops and in pain always.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
When shopping I just buy their toiletries with ours. The careers at the home said they are the best looked after people in there.
Did your parents consent to all of the expenditure of the $60k? were they aware you were using the money to support yourself? did/do they have full mental capacity? did you keep records, of why the money was spent?
I await your further responses, cheers, James