Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

Can my son give me power of attorney to support him over parenting…

Customer Question
Can my son give me...
Can my son give me power of attorney to support him over parenting plan issues and contempt of court issues because he is emotionally strained on this matter?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Australia Law
5/25/2015
Solicitor: Leon, Solicitor replied 3 years ago
Leon, Solicitor
Good Morning
My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question.
No he cannot do that
The court will see this as him not taking an interest.
A POA will not allow you to represent him.
He can ask the court to have you speak on his behalf but he has to be in court.
I hope this makes sense?
Solicitor: James D. Ford, Solicitor replied 3 years ago
James D. Ford
James D. Ford, Solicitor
Hi, to add to what Leon has said... you can support your son... and assist him with the process... and he can even appoint you as his power of attorney to sign financial documents on his behalf.. however, your son will need to appear in Court... but he can have you support him and with the permission of the Court (to speak on your behalf) as what is known as a Mackenzie's friend... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McKenzie_friend
Good Afternoon
Just following up my last post
Is there any further assistance you require?