How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Leon Your Own Question
Leon, Solicitor
Category: Australia Law
Satisfied Customers: 44870
Experience:  BEc Dip Ed, Dip Law (SAB) MTax (UNSW)
Type Your Australia Law Question Here...
Leon is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My wife and I just spent $30,000.00+ on a 11 day vacation at

Customer Question

My wife and I just spent $30,000.00+ on a 11 day vacation at a resort in Maldives, I ended up with food poisoning on the 4th day which totally ruined our trip, because we were on a secluded island there was no where else to eat but the resort so the food
poisoning obviously originated from there, am I able to claim damages?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 2 years ago.
Good Evening
My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question.
Because they caused the food poisoning you have a right to sue but you have to sue them in the Maldives under their laws. You cannot sue them in Australia as the Australian Courts do not have jurisdiction.
If you had travel insurance then you may be able to claim there but you have to read the terms and conditions.
I hope this makes sense and is of assistance.
If there is nothing further thank you for using my services.
If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know
If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback.