How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Daniel Your Own Question
Daniel, Solicitor
Category: Australia Law
Satisfied Customers: 5710
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (dist) Graduate Diploma in Legal Practise. Admitted NSW Supreme Court / High Court
Type Your Australia Law Question Here...
Daniel is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My daughter is on drugs and has 4 children, what are my rights

Customer Question

my daughter is on drugs and has 4 children, what are my rights as a grandmother for the children to stay in my care
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.
You can file an application to the family court and have sole parental responsibility with you and have the children live with you.
Contact DOCs / Human Services in your state and make a complaint to them. They will usually make a recommendation that the children reside with the next of kin, namely a grand parent.
Not to be dismissive, but you in turn need to prove that it is in the best interests of the children to reside with you. Having a home for them, expenses and the like. It is not really a case on how bad your daughter is, more so how good you are.
My suggestion is to make a complaint regardless, if they act, it will be of no cost to you. Family court can take some months.
Please click accept and leave feedback.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
you didn't really answer my question, I do not want to get DOCS involved at present
Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.
You do have the right to remove the children.
In short.
In respect of the matter however, she can dispute that removal, usually through the court system.
As you cannot automatically take the children and acquire sole parental rights over them, the only way that can be done is by way of a court order or if DOCs get involved.