Leon, Solicitor
Experience:  BEc Dip Ed, Dip Law (SAB) MTax (UNSW)
12124641

I had my wisdom teeth removed at least 10 years ago at the

Customer Question

I had my wisdom teeth removed at least 10 years ago at the OHCWA in Perth. I still have constant numbness, painful tingling on the left hand side of my tongue. When I brush my teeth every time I touch where my lower left tooth was I get what feels like a 9v battery to the tip of my tongue. I constantly chew on it to the point it is now a habit to try and prevent biting it. I only know I've bitten my tongue as I bite so hard that I taste blood and usually resulting in scars left on my tongue. I was never advised of possible permanent numbness. Apparently my root had a hook shape ant it severed/damaged the nerve. For at least a year after the dentist did free follow ups, to me that means he is admitting fault, however the feeling has never returned. I chew on my tongue, which is now a habit, so much that it's red raw and very painful. I started off chewing on it so I knew were it was to stop the constant accidental biting of it. Besides the fact my tongue looks disgusting from all the scars and bite holes it actually really hurts almost constantly. Wish I knew if something can be done so long after the procedure to help.
Just a word of warning to all. Don't do it. The risk outweigh the benefits. I now have to live like this for the rest of my life.
Category: Australia Law
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
That is a picture of my tongue
Expert:  Leon replied 2 years ago.
Good Morning
My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question.
My apology for the delay but noone was online.
Why has it taken 10 years to do something about this.
There is a 6 year limitation period to bring an action against the dentist if they caused the problem.
Were you warned that this may be a side effect of the removal of the wisdom teeth?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I was told there was nothing that can be done to fix it at the time. I was researching it the other day on the net, as it gets quite painful at times, and is getting worse as time goes by. I saw an article saying surgery can be done with a 50-90% success rate. So that's why I haven't done anything. At the time of the operation I was unaware. After the operation the dentist told me its normal to get some numbing sensation but it should go away. I continued seeing him for a year after the op and wasn't charged for any consultations.
Expert:  Leon replied 2 years ago.
Good Afternoon
Did they give you a warning about the issues that can occur and did you sign anything at the time?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No not that I remember. The dentist told me after the op that I will be numb but that's normal and it will go away.
However I signed a release form for photos, as after the operation, he said it was an unusual extraction as one of the roots were hooked shaped and hooked under the nerves, he said he took pictures of the procedure and wanted to use them as a case study for student purposes. Which I did agree.
Expert:  Leon replied 2 years ago.
Good Evening
You should contact them and get copies of the records and anything else they hold and then see a Solicitor that practices in negligence law.
Many do it on a no win no fee basis.
They will look at it all and decide whether you have a case for compensation.
If they have been negligent you will get something for the discomfort you feel.
The law society of WA can refer you.
Their website is as follows:
https://www.lawsocietywa.asn.au
I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. if there is nothing further thank you for using my services.
If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know
If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback.
Regards
Expert:  Leon replied 2 years ago.
Good Morning
I'm just following up our discussion earlier this week and seeing whether there is anything else I can assist you with.
If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Regards