How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Leon Your Own Question
Leon, Solicitor
Category: Australia Law
Satisfied Customers: 44385
Experience:  BEc Dip Ed, Dip Law (SAB) MTax (UNSW)
Type Your Australia Law Question Here...
Leon is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 15 year old boy (who obviously thinks and acts like he is

Customer Question

My 15 year old boy (who obviously thinks and acts like he is much older) has just found out that his girlfriend of the same age is pregnant. I am not denying that he has no fault in this outcome but would appreciate any information that you could give me. We as his parents have explained all options to him and it is our understanding that he very well knows that he is no position to care for let alone raise a child at his age and does not want to go ahead with the pregnancy. However, it is our belief that the girl in this situation is receiving no guidance from her parents but seems to be the quite opposite i.e encouragement.
What are my sons options:-
If he can not talk sense to the girl and make her realise that this child is going to have no future as the can not provide and look after the child - can he sign away paternal rights and walk away???
Any help and advice will be greatly appreciated!
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 2 years ago.
Good Morning,My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question.This is not good.He has no options at all. Until the child is born he cannot ask her to do anything. He also faces the possibility of criminal charges because she is under 16.Even if she consented to having intercourse the law treats it as sexual assualt.Has anyone spoken to the girls parents?
Expert:  Leon replied 2 years ago.
Good MorningOnce the child is born then he will be liable to pay child support if she applies and he also has a right to spend time with his child. Once the child is born if agreement cannot be reached between them, You should contact your closest family relationship centre. This is a free service provided by the Federal Government. Their website is You can find your closest one on there. The web-site also have alot of useful information and links to assist you. Before going to court you must obtain a certificate from a family dispute resolution practitioner. You get this through the free service provided at the family relationship centres. If you need to go to court then you will need to file an application in the Family Court or the Federal Circuit Court and Good luck with it. If there is nothing further thank you for using my services. If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask. Please do not forget to leave positive feedback. RegardsLeon