Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I was involved in a minor car accident last week (by involved,

Customer Question
I mean it was my...
I was involved in a minor car accident last week (by involved, I mean it was my fault ... I rear ended a car in front of my in heavy traffic). No one was injured and the damage to both vehicles appeared slight - we were travelling around 5k an hour which helped! We exchanged details correctly and both went on our way.

The other driver has contacted me now stating that they have a quote for repairs in the amount of $1118. This seems high to me, as the damage (of which I have photos) is to paintwork only - no dents, no bits broken. However, I realise sometimes there can be hidden damage.

My question is simply and purely this: Do I have a right to require more than one quote before I settle the damages? I am not disputing my liability, but I do think the amount is excessive and I am slightly suspicious of their long story about why they have not obtained another quote. I am insured, and could claim it on my policy, but I'd prefer not to as my excess is $600 and for the small contribution the insurance would make, I would be paying in increased premiums for years to come.

I would like to tell the other driver that I will settle the matter privately but that I require at least one more quote, and that I will pay the bill directly to the repairer, not to them. Is this reasonable? Do I have any legal basis to do this?
Submitted: 4 years ago.Category: Australia Law
3/25/2014
Solicitor: Leon, Solicitor replied 4 years ago
Leon, Solicitor
Good Evening

My name is Leon and I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question. 

You have a right to seek another quotation and if you are able to arrange one, you can ask to have the car to be assessed by your own panelbeater.

Usually 2 quotes should be provided for the repairs.

You have very right to ask for another quote but make sure that any agreement that is reached is in writing and signed by both of you.

I hope this makes sense?

Yes this makes sense and confirms what I had suspected was the case. Thank you.

Good Evening Kat

Good luck

You are very welcome and thank you for using my services. 

If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know

If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback.

Regards