How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Daniel Your Own Question
Daniel, Solicitor
Category: Australia Law
Satisfied Customers: 5740
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (dist) Graduate Diploma in Legal Practise. Admitted NSW Supreme Court / High Court
Type Your Australia Law Question Here...
Daniel is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi Ive signed a fixed price contract for a house and land

This answer was rated:

Hi I've signed a fixed price contract for a house and land package.I'm at the stage of trying to get council approval which is becoming a big problem.There has been issues with the protection zone around a large tree on the property which has cost me $1100.00 for an arborist report.Now council has said old sewer pipe is not usable ,need to install new pipe/ connection at a cost of $5231.00.I'm trying to get more money from the bank,but if I can't I will have to cancel my contract,not sure what to do.I have been told if I cancel I will lose
the $5000.00 deposit that I payed.I'm not sure what my rights are when it comes to cancelling a contract like this.
settlement date was supposed to be 01/04/13.

Issue here is you are obliged to undertake All reasonable searches For the property.

The law is that if a person was to make a purchase of the home, then they would take all the time to make the searches and ask all the questions.

A search of the home and enquires you now made should have been made prior.

In short, you will lose the deposit.

Please click accept, I wish I could give better news
Daniel and other Australia Law Specialists are ready to help you