How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Patrick H. Your Own Question
Patrick H.
Patrick H., Lawyer
Category: Australia Law
Satisfied Customers: 5422
Experience:  Dip Law LPAB - Sydney based lawyer
Type Your Australia Law Question Here...
Patrick H. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

we are intending on selling raw honey at the markets. the Labels

This answer was rated:

we are intending on selling raw honey at the markets. the Labels advise of possible allergies to pollin and propolis. Can we be sued if someone has an allergy and do we need further insurance to sell food products
Hello and thank you for your question.

There is always a risk of being sued, but provided you have taken reasonable steps to warn customers of any likely problems they might face and have otherwise made your product as safe as you reasonably can, you should have good prospects of defending any law suit.

However, be aware that because courts judge claims with the power of hindsight, there is no 100% reliable way of being sure that a court won't find something that you could or should have done better, and so find you negligent if some accident or mishap should occur. For that reason all businesses would be wise to have good public liability insurance, and if the business involves manufacturing, such as yours, you should consider getting product liability insurance, which will protect you against most problems which your product might cause, such as food poisoning, or allergy issues, etc.

To arrange such insurance you should see a business broker as they can assess your insurance needs in more detail and recommend the most appropriate policies.

I trust the above assists.

Please rate my answer,


Patrick H. and other Australia Law Specialists are ready to help you