How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Patrick H. Your Own Question
Patrick H.
Patrick H., Lawyer
Category: Australia Law
Satisfied Customers: 5420
Experience:  Dip Law LPAB - Sydney based lawyer
Type Your Australia Law Question Here...
Patrick H. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 81 yr old mother, a NSW home owner, is very concerned that

This answer was rated:

My 81 yr old mother, a NSW home owner, is very concerned that the government will want probate paid on what she leaves to her 4 children in her will. She owns a small home and has a small amount of money in the bank. She is on a pension. Could you please help me lay her fears at rest. Thank you
When you say that your mother is very concerned hat the government will want probate paid on what she leaves, I assume her concerns is directed at death duties not probate. Probate is simply the order of the court confirming the validity of the will and confirming the authority of the executor to deal with the estate assets. There is a fee for an application for probate of $595, but in the context of an estate involving real estate it is not a substantial figure.

Death duties, on the other hand, used to be levied as a percentage of the whole estate in some parts of Australia and are sometimes raised as a possible new tax by cash strapped governments. However, fortunately I can confirm that at present there are no current death duties applicable in Australia, and the children should receive their full share.

In short your mother should not be too concerned about this unless there is some change in the law, but to my knowledge there are no current plans for such a tax to be introduced.

I trust the above assists.

Please rate my answer so I can be paid by the website operator.

Please note I am only paid if you rate me with three or more stars/smileys.

Thank you and good luck.

Patrick H. and other Australia Law Specialists are ready to help you