How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Patrick H. Your Own Question
Patrick H.
Patrick H., Lawyer
Category: Australia Law
Satisfied Customers: 5422
Experience:  Dip Law LPAB - Sydney based lawyer
Type Your Australia Law Question Here...
Patrick H. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Garage door accidently damaged by something on the back of

This answer was rated:

Garage door accidently damaged by something on the back of our car when the door didn't go up properly. Have asked the agent to contact the owner to claim on the property insurance and we would pay for the excess but he owner does not want to loose his no claim bonus. Where do we stand on this?
Hello and thank you for your question.

The owners property insurance covers him against damage to his property, but if he claims on it, the insurer would likely claim against you if the damage was caused by your car. So in short, referring the matter to the landlord's property insurer doesn't help you.

If you have contents insurance then you will be covered for public liability insurance as well (most contents policies include liability cover) so if the landlord is demanding payment of the garage door from you, then you should refer it to your contents insurer as a public liability claim, as such cover is designed to protect you from claims arising out of your accidentally injuring someone or damaging someone else's property.

If you don't have public liability cover and you were responsible for the damage then you are legally liable to pay the full amount of any repairs/replacement that is reasonably required.

I trust the above assists.

Please rate my answer so I can be paid by the website operator.

Please note I am only paid if you rate me with three or more stars/smileys.

Thank you and good luck.


Patrick H. and other Australia Law Specialists are ready to help you