How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Daniel Your Own Question
Daniel, Solicitor
Category: Australia Law
Satisfied Customers: 5595
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (dist) Graduate Diploma in Legal Practise. Admitted NSW Supreme Court / High Court
Type Your Australia Law Question Here...
Daniel is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

In case I leave my de-facto (or vice versa), could you please

This answer was rated:

In case I leave my de-facto (or vice versa), could you please give me a rough guide on distribution of our main asset the house ie if 50/50 or other?
-We have lived and been together for over 20 years
-She owned the house with her ex until they divorced a couple of years before we met.
-She assumed ownership of house, after ex left.
-I have no children, she has 2 children from the ex. They are both over age 30.
-We share all living expenses, except when she pays for her 2 adult children.
-I have been paying rent, and contribute to many expenses including rates, utilities.
-There is currently a mortgage on the house, which we are both paying.
-For simplicity, ignore other assets as they are negligible.

In short the contributions are equal. You helped with the kids, mortgage, utilities and the like.

Your separation would be around 50/50. If anything it would be slightly in her favor as she provided the home, but this is minor, maybe 5% her way to more of a 55/45 split her way.

Please accept.
Daniel and other Australia Law Specialists are ready to help you