How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Daniel Your Own Question
Daniel, Solicitor
Category: Australia Law
Satisfied Customers: 5708
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (dist) Graduate Diploma in Legal Practise. Admitted NSW Supreme Court / High Court
Type Your Australia Law Question Here...
Daniel is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

can grandparents adopt a 9 year old grandson. we have PR of

This answer was rated:

can grandparents adopt a 9 year old grandson. we have PR of him which took place in courts on 9-12-2010. his mother has had no contact with him since the 17-12-2010 but is allowed to see him 2hrs month supervised if she wanted to. not sure where she is living but think she is living in a town about 1/2 hr away. we have not changed our address or phone no. she has 8 other children that she didn't bother with in different states some are now over 18. I only have the 1 grandson that belongs to her.

You can file an application to the family court and have the child adopted, however it is a matter for you.

In such circumstances you already have orders to care for the child, having adoption is easy.

You need to fill in this form and ask to have the child adopted by you.

If you have the mothers consent, all you need do is fill out orders by consent and have them filed with the court.

Please accept
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

did not really answer my question & i have told you mother has made no contact since 17-12-2010 also hates me. Don't think she will consent. So how is adoption easy & will i still receive my fortnightly payments?


It does answer the question with respect.

The application is there to fill out, all you need to ask for is for the child to be adopted.

I would suggest she will consent, as she has not seen the child since 2010, clearly she does not care, she would prefer to not have anything to do with the child it seems.

You will still receive payment

Please accept
Daniel and other Australia Law Specialists are ready to help you