Have Australian Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Now.

I am a 70 year old pensioner and I was selling dvd.s online

which i did Not know...
I am a 70 year old pensioner and I was selling dvd.s online which i did Not know they were pirate copies an have just been hit with documentation with afine of $2000.00,I haven't even got $200 as i live from fortnight to fortnight . I chap online said I could earn some extra money to pay my bills and medication as he gets dvd.s from an Overseas Warehouse. This has not helped my depression etc . I received this registered mail from a legal firm. If i had known the details i would not have used my own EBay site with my name and address on it. Please ,please advise me please.
8/26/2013
Daniel, Solicitor
Hello

So it is a letter from a firm, not the police?

Yes it is from a Law firm.they must have got my home address from EBay

And I am instructed to provide who the persons or businessare that I purchased from. the chap I recieved from and the overseas business I would not have a clue,all I know about the business is, it is in malaysia I think and the email address I had of his he does not reply to me and i have sent emails informing him of has happened-he has disappeared I think.I am supposed to advise ASAL details which is fair enough but I have no real details. I have a doctors appointment and have to go but will be back online in about an 90 minutes I hope. Sir,I feel so very down and out.

Thanking You So far,

Dann

Hello

With the piracy of DVDs a serious crime, i would simply notify this person as to whom you got the DVDs from and cease contact with the other party all together and quit while you are ahead.

Please accept.

I thank you for your reply,but they demand $2095.00 or else there will be court action taken and I do not have that kind of money as I have to survive fortnightly being an aged pensioner.I have stopped selling on EBay and ASAP and sent untold emails to the person who appears to have gone missing.

Hello

In such matters it is clear you do not have that amount of money and they will not be of any benefit to chase you.

My advice, outline your current finances, and send to them to confirm your current financial issues, then demand that they do not chase you.

Please accept.

Thanks Daniel,

I naturally would not hold you to any Liability Smile

But even that simple advice above that you gave is commonsense,the old saying that says ÿou cannot get blood out of a stone. I will give it a go and hope for the best.

Have a Nice week,

Dann

all the best.

please click accept.
Daniel, Solicitor
Daniel, Solicitor