How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Patrick H. Your Own Question
Patrick H.
Patrick H., Lawyer
Category: Australia Law
Satisfied Customers: 5422
Experience:  Dip Law LPAB - Sydney based lawyer
Type Your Australia Law Question Here...
Patrick H. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can I send a letter to the other sides lawyer if I already

This answer was rated:

Can I send a letter to the other side's lawyer if I already have a lawyer
There is no law that prevents you writing to the other lawyer directly, but generally the other lawyer can't respond to you as lawyers are not generally permitted to contact opposing parties directly once they have solicitors acting for them. Instead he will likely respond to your lawyer.

Generally, it is better that you communicate through your own lawyer, otherwise you risk creating confusion because you and your lawyer are not acting in concert.

Rule 25 of the following rules explains the duties of a lawyer with regard to communicating with another lawyers client:

I trust the above assists.

Please rate my answer so I can be paid by the website operator.

Please note I am only paid if you rate me with three or more stars/smileys.

Thank you and good luck.


Patrick H. and other Australia Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you Patrick.


That explains it well. Much appreciated. My (mother's) lawyer who is working with me on a case said it was possible for me to write my letters on my or mum's letterhead but that he couldn't necessarily do it, particularly as the letters tended to be quite long with lots of photographs of the damages caused to the Premises by the former tenant.


Kind regards,