How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Patrick H. Your Own Question
Patrick H.
Patrick H., Lawyer
Category: Australia Law
Satisfied Customers: 5422
Experience:  Dip Law LPAB - Sydney based lawyer
Type Your Australia Law Question Here...
Patrick H. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

In the supreme court of qld, I am the defendant, it is a family

This answer was rated:

Supreme court QLD family law matter, sitting dormant for more then 2 years what can I do to dismiss the case.

If the matter is not being pressed for no apparent reason, you can apply to the court to have the matter struck out.

Whether the court will do so will depend on whether the other party or parties object object, and if they do, what explanation they have for the delay. A two year delay would require a good explanation I would expect.

The risk of making such an application is that if you are unsuccessful is all you may have achieved is to remind the other party to press ahead.

Rather than just applying to the court it might be better to contact the other side directly and simply ask them to discontinue the matter, and point out that if you have to apply to have it struck off that you will be applying for your costs of the application.

I trust the above assists.

Please rate my answer so I can be paid by the website operator.

Please note I am only paid if you rate me with three or more stars/smileys.

Thank you and good luck.

Patrick H. and other Australia Law Specialists are ready to help you