How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Brisbane-Lawyer Your Own Question
Brisbane-Lawyer, Solicitor - Admitted 2005
Category: Australia Law
Satisfied Customers: 14361
Experience:  I did my law degree at the University of Queensland
Type Your Australia Law Question Here...
Brisbane-Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I co owned a restaurant with my brother in Melbourne and registered

This answer was rated:

I co owned a restaurant with my brother in Melbourne and registered in our name. The business finance and admistration been managed by his wife ( sis in law) for the last 2 years. My brother is the chef and only cook for the Restaurant. He did not manage and involve in the cash flow and finanace of the Restaurant.
As i am base in oversea my brother found that irregularity in cash flow and finance of the business. Daily cash sales is deposited to my sister in law personal accounts and she did not reveal how the cash flow of the business. We had a meeting couple of months ago when i travel to Melbourne and she refused to show the cash deposit statement of her personal account. We also have another current account which mainly used for credit cards sales settlement. We believe she is stealing and cheating from the business for the last 2 years.

What are the options i have to deal with my sister in law ? My brother will agreed to any actions appropriate to recover our losses.

What are the options i have to deal with my sister in law ?

Your best option is simply to fire her and replace her with a new employee. As for how much she might have stolen, you should tell you that if she does not provide you with copies of her bank statements, that you will have her charged by the police. The police can then put pressure on her to cough up the statements.

Should you have any other questions, please let me know.

If you're satisfied with the results of your question, then I'll ask you to please provide positive feedback so that I will get credit for the time spent on your question. Your question can continue even after you leave positive feedback, so if you have any follow up questions please don't be afraid to ask.
Brisbane-Lawyer and 2 other Australia Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Once i reported to the police on this issue and my sis in law cooperated with us by giving us the information needed to check on the restaurant financial situation. If these 2 scenarios occur what is your further advise.


1) If we found documents provided is sufficient and in order and she willing to cooperate. Can we abort or cancel the earlier report with the police or what shall we do?


2) If we found irregularities and proof of cheating. Can we provide info to the police for further investigation ? what would be the most likely event happen if this situation occurred ?



1. No. Once you report it to the police, they will proceed to prosecute even if you don't want them to. In other words, you cannot put the genie back in the bottle.

2. Yes, you can provide new information to the police if you discover any. But again, once the police form the view that sufficient evidence exists to charge her with stealing, that is exactly what they will do.