How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Daniel Your Own Question
Daniel, Solicitor
Category: Australia Law
Satisfied Customers: 5740
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (dist) Graduate Diploma in Legal Practise. Admitted NSW Supreme Court / High Court
Type Your Australia Law Question Here...
Daniel is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How could i go about getting back a car, that is under my name,

This answer was rated:

How could i go about getting back a car, that is under my name, that my partner has taken?

You cannot report it stolen as it is not stolen per se.

All you can do is demand that the car be returned. Because it is in your name shows that the car is owned by you.

The finance company would not help also.

You can however file an application to court to have it recovered. They do not have a right over the car as it is in your name. That surpasses any valid right they believe to have.

Hopefully, you can speak with a solicitor and send them a letter demanding its return and hope the matter is resolved.

Please accept.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

How do I go about filing a report to the court & what information will I need to take in order to do so?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

If the person, has taken it out of the state that it is registered in & I have no way of contacting this person or if I have no address, what can the court do?

Which state are you in?

Attend the local magistrates court in your area and the staff will provide you with a statement of claim. They will assist you with filing it out.

The court can serve the document to the last known address. It will then be valid service regardless.

Please accept
Daniel and other Australia Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

WA, ok thank you, XXXXX XXXXX appreciate your help