How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Patrick H. Your Own Question
Patrick H.
Patrick H., Lawyer
Category: Australia Law
Satisfied Customers: 5420
Experience:  Dip Law LPAB - Sydney based lawyer
Type Your Australia Law Question Here...
Patrick H. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i was caught shoplifting in nsw of 5 aud, the police wrote

This answer was rated:

i was caught shoplifting in nsw of 5 aud, the police wrote down my passport information in her notebook and said this is warning. i'm really regret now for the stupid action. fortunately the owner didnt charge me, and police let me go.
i have question that: it gonna be my criminal record? how can i know for sure about it?
2. what will the police gonna do with my passport info?
Hello and thank you for your question.

If the police did not charge you then it will not appear as part of your criminal record. It is only if you are found guilty by a court that it will be recorded in your criminal record and the police simply taking your details does not create a criminal record.

The police likely will keep a police file on the incident, but that is not the same as a criminal record and is just a record which the police can use for future investigations.

Please rate my answer so that I can be paid by the website operator for my time.

Please note I am only paid if you rate me with three or more stars/smileys.

Thank you and good luck.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
thanks so much for answer me. i'm really stress right my detail gonna be there forever? i'm an oversea student, does it effect me somehow? another thing, is my detail provide to shops around there as a shoplifting? and will they keep tracking me?i'll definately rate you 5 star.
As there is no criminal record it should not affect you at ALL.

You should have nothing to worry about.

Please rate my answer.

Good luck,

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
thanks so much, just one more thing. if they do the check for older footage camera, and doubt for my previous shoplift, are they able to chagre me as shoplift base on video footage only? in case they have all my info.
Whether they can charge you depends on what the video shows, but it is very unlikely they could convict you on video evidence alone.

Unless you receive a court summons I think you have nothing to worry about.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
so, you mean, they unlikely to track me down for what i did in the past? how about police contact me about it, what should i do by then?
Because it is only a very minor shoplifting incident and the police room no action against you at the time it is very unlikely they will contact you again over this matter.

If they do contact you don't admit to anything, just ask them to explain whether they are charging you or issuing a fine.

I really doubt they will do either.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
you might misunderstand there. i mean they will find me and charge me for other shoplifting act in the past. the one i got catch yesterday not the one i'm worry about. thanks so much for helping me.
If they have sufficient evidence to charge you for a previous incident then they can.

I doubt they would just because of this recent incident but it is possible. All you can do is wait and see.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
is the video footage a sufficient evidence? thanks so much, i will rate you after this reply. can you give me any private contact so that i can ring you if things happen? of course with my greatful.
That depends on what is in the video.

Shoplifting is a very minor priority for the police so I think further action against you is very unlikely.

Please rate my answer.

Thank you,

Patrick H. and other Australia Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Australia Law Questions