How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Brisbane-Lawyer Your Own Question
Brisbane-Lawyer, Solicitor - Admitted 2005
Category: Australia Law
Satisfied Customers: 14361
Experience:  I did my law degree at the University of Queensland
Type Your Australia Law Question Here...
Brisbane-Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

this question to be answered by aa Australian family law practitioner.

This answer was rated:

this question to be answered by aa Australian family law practitioner. I am currently trying to negotiate a custody agreement with my ex. She wants to put in a clause that lets her take the kids for holidays for as long as she likes, the only rules being she has to give a months notice, and provide an itinerary. Can I impose limits on the legngth of trips? I dont want to have three months without seeing my kids. How would you word it?
Can I impose limits on the length of trips?

Of course. Ordinarily three weeks is the maximum limit given in custody and access agreements. Also, you need to keep in mind that you must put this agreement (when the two of you have sorted out all the terms) into Consent Orders, otherwise it will not be enforceable.

To apply for Consent Orders from the Court, you need to use this Kit:

The Court will then approve the orders, and seal them with the Court's stamp at which stage the orders will become binding on both of you. That means breaching the orders would result in penalties, including jail for serious breaches.

If you're satisfied with the results of your question, then I'll ask you to please provide positive feedback so that I will get credit for the time spent on your question.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks. Is there somewhere online that has examples of the wording I can use for this?
You won't find anything online. Lawyers keep those well guarded as they are valuable intellectual property. However, if you show me some of the clauses you are having trouble with, I may be able to offer some guidance once you have accepted my answer.
Brisbane-Lawyer and other Australia Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The other thing is that her lawyer has a clause that refers to the holidays as 'trips away' rather than holidays. They keep insisting on using this wording rather than 'holidays'. The recitals impose a 20 day limit annually on holidays.
In that case you should cross out the word holidays in the recitals and replace it with 'trips away' to keep that term consistent throughout the document.

But if you reproduce some of the proposed agreement I am happy to make suggestions.
Brisbane-Lawyer and other Australia Law Specialists are ready to help you