How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Daniel Your Own Question
Daniel, Solicitor
Category: Australia Law
Satisfied Customers: 5594
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (dist) Graduate Diploma in Legal Practise. Admitted NSW Supreme Court / High Court
Type Your Australia Law Question Here...
Daniel is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Three years ago I gave my son $130,000 under the Granny Flat

This answer was rated:

Three years ago I gave my son $130,000 under the Granny Flat Option on the condition that he provide me with a home until I was incapable of looking after myself. I did this with the knowledge and permission of CentreLink ( Social Security) I have a hand written document signed by both of us concerning the money I gave him He informed me three months ago that I was to leave and has made life so unpleasant that I felt I had no option but to do so.
Centre Link tells me I should sue him to get the money back that I gave him but I do not want to do that- however I do feel he should repay Centrelink the money that they say I now owe them- plus any shortfall in my pension until the money is paid back. Can I sue him for that amount rather than the $130,000 and would I have any likelihood of winning my case
Thank you

In such matters it is imperative that you sue him for the whole amount, $130,000.00.

He has no defence as he has signed the agreement.

If you agree that he pays you a lesser amount, then so be it, you can agree for a lesser amount. It is a quite easy.

I would suggest going to a court and having the documents filed. Then negotiate with him for a lesser sum.

Please accept.
Daniel and other Australia Law Specialists are ready to help you