How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Patrick H. Your Own Question
Patrick H.
Patrick H., Lawyer
Category: Australia Law
Satisfied Customers: 5422
Experience:  Dip Law LPAB - Sydney based lawyer
Type Your Australia Law Question Here...
Patrick H. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi I have a 12yr old son which i want to get a passport for,

This answer was rated:

Hi I have a 12yr old son which i want to get a passport for, his biological father is not on his birth certificate and has not seen him since he was 4 and that was only for 5 mins. The biological father has never had anything to do with my son. My son has my husbands last name now and has had for the last 5yrs. What i want to know is do i have to get biological fathers permission? thank you concerned mum.
Hello and thank you for your question.

Generally passports are not issued for minors without both parents consent. However in cases where a parent is unavailable for some reason a passport can still be issued provided you can satisfy the passport office that the other parent is unavailable.
I would suggest you discuss the matter with the passport office to discuss your situation in more detail and to find out what they will require.

If you cannot satisfy their requirements, your only other option is to apply to the Family Court for orders that permit you to obtain a passport without the father's consent.

I trust this assists your understanding.
Patrick H. and other Australia Law Specialists are ready to help you