How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Patrick H. Your Own Question
Patrick H.
Patrick H., Lawyer
Category: Australia Law
Satisfied Customers: 5422
Experience:  Dip Law LPAB - Sydney based lawyer
Type Your Australia Law Question Here...
Patrick H. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am Taxation agent - a former employee of mine whilst in my

This answer was rated:

I am Taxation agent - a former employee of mine whilst in my employment solicited clients to service in his own time for a personal remuneration without disclosing that to me. In addition before he resigned he downloaded my client's data base on his personal computer and used to solicit clients to move across to him.
I have discovered this after he had left by going through a computer program that I installed on his computer that recorded everything that he did, including vary delicate conversations with a colleague of his of how to defraud me. I would like to report them to the Tax agent's Board of Aust. However the manuscript that I have incriminates his colleague as well. My question is can I leave the manuscript in its entirety when I present it with my complaint to the Tax Agent Board.
Hello and thank you for your question.

If your employer has stolen your client list and been pinching your clients during the course of his employment then he is undoubtedly in breach of his obligations as an employee and you will likely have good prospects of suing him for damages for any loss which has resulted (such as because of lost business).

Furthermore, you should be able to obtain an injunction against his continued use of your client list.

If he has commited actual fraud, as in obtaining a financial benefit by deception then it would appear he has committed a crime and you may refer the matter to the police. The police may or may not act depending on how strong a case they think they can make, but you certainly can pursue the civil options above.

As to your question about referring the matter to the Tax Agents board, they may be reluctant to act on such an allegation unless you provide the evidence in full, as if you simply hide some portions of the available evidence it may raise suspicions that the evidence is flawed in some way. Eventually they may subpoena it in any event, if any legal action arises in which case you would likely have to produce it in full.

A further alternative is to engage a lawyer with a view to negotiating a satisfactory settlement with this person. I would not suggest you attempt this directly without a lawyer as if you do not handle it right you might be accused of blackmail or extortion.

If there is further information or follow up questions you require then please ask and I will try to assist you further, otherwise please rate my answer so that I can be paid by the website operator for my time.

Please note I am only paid if you rate me with three or more stars/smileys.

Thank you and good luck.

Patrick H. and other Australia Law Specialists are ready to help you