How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Leon Your Own Question
Leon, Solicitor
Category: Australia Law
Satisfied Customers: 44187
Experience:  BEc Dip Ed, Dip Law (SAB) MTax (UNSW)
Type Your Australia Law Question Here...
Leon is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a pensioner renting a unit from a community housing company,my

This answer was rated:

I am a pensioner renting a unit from a community housing company,my rent was $140.00pw. I do not have funeral fund so I put all money left to me from my brothers will into fixed bank account $20,000.this is for my daughter to cover costs.St. George housing were charging me $2.00pw more than my neighbour Lyn because of this.Because of all the stress I have had my daughter told me to take money out and go on a holiday.I now have $15.000.Lyn is paying $145.00pw and mine is now $152.00 p.w.I could not understand this,their answer was I must have more than Lyn. There were errors in my rent receipts and I put in the hands of Rita Wilkinson,which has now been over 2yrs.Rita said there was a lot wrong with them.On February 11th I Finally got to attend her office and she said it would be finalised on Fri. 15th Feb.since then she will not respond to any of my calls.I need to know what to do next
Good Afternoon,

Thank you for your question. To Introduce myself I am a sydney based Solicitor and will do my best to provide you with relevant information to assist you.

Do you have any idea on how they calculate your rent?

Is the community housing company a private company or government authority?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

All I know is St.George Community Ltd receive names from the government housing commission waiting list when they have vacancies

Good Afternoon,

As they are a government authority, if you cannot get any clear responses to your questions and they refuse to speak to you you are able to file a complaint against them through the New South Wales Ombudsman Service.

Your request is reasonable, and you have a right to know what criteria they are using to determine your rent.

Do they ask you regularly to advise them of what your assets and liabilities are so that they can update their records and recalculate your rent?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The rent usually goes up twice a year,We have to give them a statement from the bank for investments and everyday accounts.They said they can go into my account and find out,even after I have given them statements from my bank. Why would they want to go into my account after I have given them this information.Their staff change positions all the time ,which means anyone working there can access our accounts

Good Afternoon,

I think when they say your account, they mean your account with them to see why your rent is So high.

Are you able to go and see them personally other located nearby?

It appears to me that they have done nothing and that is why you are still paying the rent you are.

You need to go and see them and work out what the formula is and if you have been overpaying you are entitled to a refund.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I spoke to XXXXX who is one of the rent review team and had asked for written numbers so I could how they had calculated my rent and I wanted a rent receipt as I have not had a one since 2012.I received 9 pages of information on Govn.Assets, a piece of paper telling me calculations were based on my weekly income of $363. No rent receipt as usual.I rang her again and said I was not happy ,she said she would ring me the next day with a time and day to sit with the manager .That day would of been 5thJuly ,as yet no call.I rang again today and as usual no-one was available.So I am still waiting for a day to see someone.This happens all the time when you want information from them,they are conveniently not there

Good Evening

Do you earn $363 a week?

Do you have an accountant?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I get my pension which is$733.70 pension supplement $61.20,Clean Energy supplement $13.50Total of $808.40.They are supposed to charge 25% Whether they can add both the supplements or not I am not sure .Last year they worked it out as 25% of $318.04 weekly income = $79.51,25% CIS $9.78=$2.45 subtotal $81.96 plus 100% CRA $60.10 total of rent as from 14th Sept 2012 $142.00 rent charged $140.00.[cra is rental assistance].This year I did not get a sheet like 2012 only $90.76 based on income $61.50 CRA total of $152.26 new rent starting on 12th July.I do not work full time or part time ,nor do I do voluntary work after 8yrs of enjoying it [.lack of sleep]

Good Evening

Based on your calculations are they charging the right rent? What do you say you should pay?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have no idea how to work it all out ,but, I know I was paying $2.00 p.w more than Lyn as I had $20,000 in a fixed account, same size unit ,same pension, This time they are charging me $6.51 p.w more and I have $15,000 Not $20,000 so I should be paying less. I didn't think I would need an accountant just because I have money in a fixed term account.

Good Evening

This is what I asked about having an accountant. The documents they gave you should explain how the rent is calculated.

The accountant can look at it and tell you.

I would register a complaint with the Ombudsman based on their failure to get back to you.

I am suggesting an accountant to work out the rent for you.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for listening to me .I shall go and try to find one before my head explodes .I now know how a man feels when his children are taken from him,because of a vindictive wife and no-one listens to him,and he commits suicide,it is so frustrating.St.George needs a good waking up.

Good Evening

I am sorry I could not do more.

Good luck with it.

If they wont assist you complain about them, they have to provide a service.

I hope this is of assistance. If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know before leaving any feedback.

If I have assisted please do not forget to leave me with positive feedback.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Who do I complain to?. I cannot find a phone no. or address for Rental tribunal ,which is where Rita is supposedly taking the results of my rent receipts .I wrote a letter to Ombudsman and they said they could not help me.

Good Morning

If the NSW Ombudsman cannot help then you can file a complaint with the CTTT which is part of the Department of Fair Trading.

They deal with tenancy issues.

I hope this assists.
Leon and other Australia Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Australia Law Questions