How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Daniel Your Own Question
Daniel, Solicitor
Category: Australia Law
Satisfied Customers: 5710
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (dist) Graduate Diploma in Legal Practise. Admitted NSW Supreme Court / High Court
Type Your Australia Law Question Here...
Daniel is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Would it be worth fighting a speeding fine ($250) for travelling

This answer was rated:

Would it be worth fighting a speeding fine ($250) for travelling 17 kms above the speed limit on the Hume Highway,NSW, given the following facts:
The driver is a visitor to Australia, not familiar with our roads
The car was hired from Budget, the day before,
The cruise control was set at 110
The speedometer was faulty, Budget has admitted that.
In essence, the driver fully thought she was driving at the speed limit, she was not responsible for the state of the speedometer - that was Budget's fault; and she had no experience of either the car or the road to be able to appreciate that she was over the speed limit.
Thanks. Jack

yes defiantly fight it.

Get a letter from budget, confirming the issue and use it as evidence.

Courts do take such things into account and will make a judgement call.

No experience on that road, faulty speedo, rental car, all these factors are important.

17 km over is not unreasonable to think they were going the limit.

I would state that she would have no issue.

Please accept.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I don't understand what you mean when you say "I would state that she would have no issue" Please explain

I mean that she would have no issue having the fine withdrawn.

Please accept
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks. One last question then I'll accept. My daughter is going back to the US in 2 weeks. Presumably any court hearing will not take place before then. Can/Should she write to the relevant authorities, or can I appear on her behalf (even though I was not in the car at the time of the offence)?

She can write a letter yes, it would suffice.

Please accept. :)
Daniel and other Australia Law Specialists are ready to help you