Daniel, Solicitor
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (dist) Graduate Diploma in Legal Practise. Admitted NSW Supreme Court / High Court
13248794

I am a university academic. I resigned from my position at

I am a university academic. I resigned from my position at the university in 2010 in order to complete my PhD. I have worked on a casual basis for the same university department in 2010, 2011, 2012 by marking examinations and assignments. A colleague with whom I have worked wanted to appoint me as a co-lecturer on a course because numbers have doubled. When he suggested my name to the program Director he refused to appoint me. When my colleague asked why he refused to give a reason and said that he would not allow me to teach in the Department again, and that he should not ask why, end of conversation. I have not had any conflict with the Director of the program in the time that I have been working as a casual, nor am I aware of any problems with the examination results and reports I submitted. I suspect someone of telling the Director false information about me. As a result I have been 'blacklisted' and am not able to get employment of any kind in the Department, even though I am now more highly qualified than the people to whom the Director is giving casual work. Would I be able to sue the University or Director for defamation?

I'm Wendy, and I’m a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the professionals to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from one of the professionals.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question.

Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Health, Pets, Computers, Cars, Finance, Tax, to Home Improvement, and more.

Thank you,
Wendy
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Wendy, yes I would like to get an answer to my question. I would prefer someone who knows about law in NSW.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX continue to look for a professional who knows NSW law to assist you. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance while you wait.

Best,
Wendy
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes Wendy, could you please clarify something for me? I paid $AUD49 by Paypal for the service and a popup just informed me that it's $49 per month. Could you please confirm that this is a 'one off' payment, or have I inadvertently signed up for a monthly payment that requires an 'opt-out' action?

Thank you for your reply. To better serve you, I will forward your questions to Customer Service where a representative will contact you via email.

Sometimes, finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected and we thank you greatly for your understanding. We’ll be in touch again shortly.

Best,
Wendy
Hello

Your open for a claim of defamation, but in order for it to be successful you need to prove that

A. The statement was defamatory
B. it was told to a third party
C. The statement was based on a false belief.

Clearly you should be able to satisfy such requirements.

Also, I would also speak with the air work ombudsman for them to look at the way you have been treated at work.

Please accept

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks Daniel

He hasn't said anything 'bad' about me to other people. In fact the Director will not give a reason why he won't employ me. He has just black listed me. Is this considered defamation?

Hello

Well in that instance, if the black list itself can be classed as a negative statement than yes.

But I would be more inclined perhaps to file with fair work in regard to being treated unfairly also.

Please accept
Daniel, Solicitor
Experience: Bachelor of Laws (dist) Graduate Diploma in Legal Practise. Admitted NSW Supreme Court / High Court