How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Daniel Your Own Question
Daniel, Solicitor
Category: Australia Law
Satisfied Customers: 5621
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (dist) Graduate Diploma in Legal Practise. Admitted NSW Supreme Court / High Court
Type Your Australia Law Question Here...
Daniel is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am on the committee of a not for profit organisation that

This answer was rated:

I am on the committee of a not for profit organisation that provides services for people with disabilities. Funding for this organisation comes from the state and federal governments and substantial support from a charitable fund.
We have just become aware that an employee has been taking money from the organisation for some time and the amount is substantial. This person has been dismissed. There is little chance of recovering much of the money.
A director of the charitable fund has informed us that if we report the theft and have them charged and the matter becomes public, they will be unable to continue their support for us as due to the damaging publicity. If this support was to be withdrawn, the service would fold and over 40 people would be left without a service.
Our question is, if we do not have this person charged, are we in some way seen by the law as being complicit in covering up a crime?

You need not report the crime, there will be no recourse agains the organization or anyone involved.

At the end of the day it is a matter for you and the organization what to do, but there is no requirement.

Please accept
Daniel and other Australia Law Specialists are ready to help you