How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Patrick H. Your Own Question
Patrick H.
Patrick H., Lawyer
Category: Australia Law
Satisfied Customers: 5422
Experience:  Dip Law LPAB - Sydney based lawyer
Type Your Australia Law Question Here...
Patrick H. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My partner was given the wrong medication from the chemist

This answer was rated:

My partner was given the wrong medication from the chemist and was taking it for six months in that time became very depressed. And had bad pains in his knees and was just feeling very unwell is there anything we can do about that
Hello and thank you for your question.

If your partner has suffered serious health issues, even mental health issues as a result of being given the wrong medicine through the negligence of a chemist then your partner is likely entitled to compensation.

The extent to which compensation may be payable will depend on the seriousness of any health problems encountered and also whether any financial loss also flowed from such health problems (for example if he/she was unable to work for a period or had significant medical expenses such losses would normally be recoverable as compensation.

If the health problems are serious and/or likely to have some permanent effect I would suggest you engage a personal injury lawyer to review your partner's case in detail.

If the problems have been minor and your doctor does not believe there should be any lasting effect, then it may be that a simple letter to the chemist asking to be referred to their public liability insurer may allow you to negotiate a satisfactory outcome yourself with the insurer directly.

I trust the above assists.

Please rate my answer so I can be paid by the website operator.

Please note I am only paid if you rate me with three or more stars/smileys.

Thank you and good luck.


Patrick H. and other Australia Law Specialists are ready to help you