How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Deborah Awyzio Your Own Question
Deborah Awyzio
Deborah Awyzio, Solicitor
Category: Australia Law
Satisfied Customers: 863
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (QUT), BIT (QUT), Family Law Accredited Specialist, over 12 years experience
Type Your Australia Law Question Here...
Deborah Awyzio is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi, I have received a court notice for shop lifting. I dont

Customer Question

I have received a court notice for shop lifting. I don't want to
have a criminal record.. Is it better to plead guilty with a private lawyer?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 4 years ago.
Good Morning

Thank you for your question. To Introduce myself I am a sydney based Solicitor and will do my best to provide you with relevant information to assist you.

what state of Australia have you been charged in?

Is this a 1st offence and what was actually stolen?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.


This is my first offense. It happened in NSW Sydney.

It was cosmetics, stocking and night wear.

Total they say is $621.


Expert:  Leon replied 4 years ago.
Good Morning,

Have you paid the money or returned the items?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.



I returned the items. I even insisted I will pay, but they dint allow me to pay.


Expert:  Leon replied 4 years ago.
Good Morning,

You should speak to a solicitor practices in the area of criminal law and have them represent you on the day.

It should also contain references as to your good character and the solicitor will hand as up on the day.

The fact that you do not have a criminal record and positive references the solicitor will request that the court deal with the matter by finding new guilty but issuing you with the section 10 which means there will be no conviction recorded on your criminal record.

They may give you a good behaviour bond for a period of time which means, if you do anything wrong in that time the court will re-sentence you on this matter as well.

Would you like me to provide you with the Law Society website so that you can get a referral to a solicitor?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes please

Expert:  Leon replied 4 years ago.
Good Morning,

The website for the Law Society of New South Wales is as follows:

By contacting them they will provide you with the names of solicitors in your area practising criminal law that you can contact and obtain more detailed advice from and will also represent you in court.

I believe you have a strong chance of obtaining a section 10 with a good behaviour bond that the solicitor will advise you on what other information you need to provide him with.

I hope this has been of assistance.

Is there anything else you would like to know?