Have Australian Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Now.

Obtaining 6-month ourist visa for Italian citizens

i'm an Italian citizen and...

i'm an Italian citizen and have some questions regarding the visa requirement for my intended six-month visit to Australia as a tourist 1. Must this visa be secured prior to arrival in Australia? 2. Is the visa available online or must I visit an Australian consulate? 3. If I must visit an Australian consulate and I'm travelling in Canada, the U.S. or Ecuador, is it possible to visit any Australian consulate in any of those countries in order to secure the visa? 4. In addition to my passport and visa, what additional documentation must I have upon arrival in Australia (e.g., is proof of health insurance required?)? 5. How long might it typically take for the visa to be approved and issued? Thank you.

6/17/2013
Leon, Solicitor
Good Morning

Thank you for your question. To Introduce myself I am a sydney based Solicitor and will do my best to provide you with relevant information to assist you.

The visa you need is a Subclass 600. If you apply for 6 months when you are outside australia you have to be outside when the visa is approved.

If you enter on an electronic visa you will get that automatically when you enter but you can only stay for 3 moths. You can then apply for an extention of 3 months before the electronic visa expires.

You will need to remain in Australia until the 600 is approved.

The following link provides you with the relevant information.

http://www.immi.gov.au/visas/visitor/600/

You can download the form online and then you can post it or deliver it to the authorised department.

Depending on the country you are in when you apply will determine where you lodge the application if you decide to apply for the 600 initially.

You should have your insurance with just in case something happens. The authorities will not necessarily ask for evidence of it but you should have it.

I cannot say how long it will take. It depends on where it is lodged and how busy they are. They will give you an indication when you lodge the visa.

Is there anything else I can assist you with?

I just researched the Subclass 600 you referred to and saw information suggesting that what I would specifically apply for is the Subclass 676.

Are we talking about the same thing here?

And are you certain that a full 6-month visa (subclass 676) can't be approved from outside the country, without the need to first apply for a three-month period and then, later, secure the three-month extension from within Australia? I may be wrong but I thought the 676 permitted the prior approval of the full six-month period.

Good Morning

The 676 is not taking new applications from the 23 March 2013. If you have not applied by that date you cannot apply.

The link from the department is as follows and clearly indicates this.

http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/tourist/676/

You can only consider the 600.

Is this a little clearer?

Thank you for that; I had trouble accessing that link but will keep trying.

And to confirm...am I correct that the three-month extension should be a formality for upstanding citizens and that I would not need to appear physically at an Australian consulate for the 3-month visa but could rather secure it online?

In relation to the links, you will need to copy what I have sent you and paste it into a new address bar and it will come up.

For some reason clicking on the link does not work.

My understanding with the subclass 600, provided you applying for an extension of 3 months before your electronic Visa expires it should be no problem.

If you wish to apply for the these are before you arrive to Australia, you were best to make an application for a six-month Visa under the Subclass 600 and then you do not have to do anything when you arrive in Australia.

I do not believe you can apply online. The application form must be physically lodged with the appropriate consulate.

There is no avenue to complete and file your application online.

My final followup (thanks for the help): if I am not permitted to apply online for the visa and am travelling abroad, am I correct that I can simply go to my nearest Australian consulate (in whichever country I happen to be located) in order to obtain the visa...and that I do not have to go to the Australian consulate in my home country?

Good Afternoon,

You will need to speak with the Consulate you launch your application with about collecting your Visa once approved in another location.

If you apply when you are outside of Australia the only requirement is that you must not be in Australia when your Visa granted.

Generally you must be in the country that you applied for the Visa when the Visa is granted but if that is not possible I believe you can make arrangements with the consulate to collect your Visa elsewhere.

But you need to discuss this with them.

Thanks again. That covers it.

Good Morning,

I'm Happy to been of assistance and if I can assist you in the future please do not hesitate to contact me.

I hope this is of assistance. If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know before leaving any feedback.

If I have assisted please do not forget to leave me with positive feedback.

Leon, Solicitor
Leon, Solicitor