Have Australian Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Now.

How can I apply for work rights and travel while I am on

bridging visa e and have...
How can I apply for work rights and travel while I am on bridging visa e and have applied for a spouse visa
6/17/2013
Leon, Solicitor
Good Morning

Thank you for your question. To Introduce myself I am a sydney based Solicitor and will do my best to provide you with relevant information to assist you.

Your bridging visa is based on the original visa you had. If your original visa did not permit you to work you cannot work and if you do then you are in breach and you will be deported.

If you are on Bridging Visa A or C you cannot travel and if you leave you will not be permtted entry back into Australia

You can travel on Bridging Visa B but you have to come back in the set period.

Here is the link from the department.

http://www.immi.gov.au/visas/bridging/

You cannot change between bridging visas. I am sorry to say.

You cannot make changes to these conditions.

Your visa E means you did not have a substantive visa when you went onto the bridging Visa.

You can make an application to the department to allow you to work and travel but you have to convince them.

Here is some information for you about this.

http://immigrationptyltd.wordpress.com/2011/10/25/bridging-visa-e-we-050-–-the-not-so-nice-bridging-visa/

http://www.immi.gov.au/refugee/permission/e-review.htm

You will need to make an application to the department. If your Solicitor is not a Migration expert you may need to change Solicitors.

If you tell me what state you are in I can provide you with the law society details and they can refer you.

But can I apply for work rights on my spouse visa and travel while my application is being processed
What do I have to provide them to convince them for it
Good Morning,

Once you receive your spouse Visa you will have the right to work and travel.

It is only whilst you are on your bridging Visa that you cannot do this.

If you wish to be able to work and travel whilst you are on your bridging Visa then you need to make an application to the Department and showed just cause.

The travel requirements that you are requesting need to be attached to your bridging Visa not your spouse Visa.

Does that make sense?
I applied for a spouse visa in April how long will it take for them to approve it an if its not approved that means I can't travel is that what u saying
Good Morning,

It can take up to 12 months for the Visa to be approved and granted.

If you wish to travel before it is approved, you can apply to the Department to be allowed to travel on your bridging Visa and if you go to the following links are provided earlier it explains what you need to prove to the Department.

Unless they prove you to travel or work on your bridging Visa you cannot.

I believe that you will need a solicitor that practices in immigration law to assist you with your application to be given work and travel rights under your bridging Visa.

If you let me know what state you are in I can provide you with the law society details and they will give you a referral.

is there anything else I can assist you with?

I am Queensland at the moment in Brisbane
Good Morning,

The Law Society of Queensland website is as follows:

http://www.qls.com.au

They will be able to provide you with a referral to a solicitor the practices in migration law there will be able to assist you with your application to get work and travel right on your bridging Visa.

It is at the discretion of the Department whether they will grain should this.

Is there anything else I can assist you with?
Can we request them to process it bit quicker is there any chances towards it
Good Morning,

The Department works its own speed and if the application is made on an urgent basis they may deal with it faster depending on your circumstances.

The solicitor will be able to assist you with this when filing your application.

Solicitor will also be out of tell you what documents you need to provide file with your application.

Thanks that's all
Good Afternoon,

You're very welcome and I'm happy to have been of assistance.

I hope this is of assistance. If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know before leaving any feedback.

If I have assisted please do not forget to leave me with positive feedback.

Leon, Solicitor
Leon, Solicitor