Deborah Awyzio
Deborah Awyzio, Solicitor
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (QUT), BIT (QUT), Family Law Accredited Specialist, over 12 years experience
14265171

I have just sold a property in South Africa - unfortunately

Customer Question

I have just sold a property in South Africa - unfortunately at a loss of R500 000 ($50 000) as the crime rate there has increased and the property market has dropped to a low. This is my only property. My salary here in Australia is $140 000 but I do not own a property here. How much tax will I pay on the sale of my South African property?
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  annelew12554 replied 4 years ago.

Anne :

Hi

Anne :

Thank you for using justanswer.

Anne :

There are a few things I need to know before I answer you.

Anne :

First, are you a US citizen, green card holder?

JACUSTOMER-8pr8xh5e- :

I am a SOUTH AFRICAN resident living in AUSTRALIA

JACUSTOMER-8pr8xh5e- :

Oops sorry - I am getting myself confused. I am now an Australian citizen and I am living permanently in Australia. I do however still do a tax lodgement in South Africa as well as Australia because I still have my S.A military pension being paid into my S.A bank account.

Anne :

Ok, I'm going to transfer your question to the Australian tax experts....there's no need to answer me as it will only slow down the process .........

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Please could you let me know what is happening? Where is my answer? I have already paid and have not yet received an answer??

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Other.
Have NOT received an answer yet!!!!
Expert:  Wendy-Mod replied 4 years ago.

I'm Wendy, and I’m a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the professionals to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from one of the professionals.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question.

Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Health, Pets, Computers, Cars, Finance, Tax, to Home Improvement, and more.

Thank you,
Wendy
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi there. Thank you for getting back to me. No - I have not yet found an answer to my question. PLEASE get back to me with a reply. My salary here in Australia is $122 253.00 per annum before tax and my South African pension is a mere pittance of R120 000 per annum ( roughly $10 000.00) AFTER tax and the rental income I got from my house in South Africa (before I sold it) was R41 600 (roughly $4000) for the tax year . I hope this helps you get my answer. Thank you

Expert:  Wendy-Mod replied 4 years ago.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX continue to look for a professional to assist you. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance while you wait.

Best,
Wendy
Expert:  Wendy-Mod replied 4 years ago.
Hello again,

We are still working with the professionals to find you the best possible match. I wanted to touch base to see if you still needed a professional’s assistance.

Please let me know if you would like to continue to wait or if you would like to cancel your question at this time. We sincerely XXXXX XXXXX the extended wait time.

Thank you,
Wendy
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hello. I would like to continue waiting please as I REALLY need an answer!!.

Thank you

Kim

Expert:  Wendy-Mod replied 4 years ago.
Hello again Kim,

Thank you again for your patience, we will continue to look for a professional to assist you. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance while you wait.

Best,
Wendy
Expert:  Fran-mod replied 4 years ago.
Hello again,

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hello

I would like to cancel my question please. I have now been waiting 3 days for an answer!!!! Kindly confirm that I will NOT BE CHARGED FOR THIS!!