How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Patrick H. Your Own Question
Patrick H.
Patrick H., Lawyer
Category: Australia Law
Satisfied Customers: 5420
Experience:  Dip Law LPAB - Sydney based lawyer
Type Your Australia Law Question Here...
Patrick H. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have accepted a position of Co-ordinator at an Out of

This answer was rated:

Hello, I have accepted a position of Co-ordinator at an Out of School Hours Care centre. On taking up this position I have an "Employee Contract -Casual Employee Outside School Hours Care Child Care Industry Award". My question is about the last paragraph in this contract which states, "I, *** ***, agree to the terms and conditions of my employment as contained in this letter. I warrant that I have had the opportunity to take legal advice as to the nature, effect and extent of these terms and conditions. I further warrant that I am aware that .....(name of employer)... is relying upon these warranties." Do I need to see a solicitor about this document before signing. Regards, *** ***

Hello and thank you for your question.
You don't have to take the contract to a lawyer, but you are invited to do so and should do so if you don't understand any of the terms. The clause is usually there to prevent employees arguing that they did not understand the contract and were pressured to sign up without having an opportunity to get advice.
If you otherwise understand the terms of the contract and agree to them, then presumably there is no reason that requires you to see a lawyer, and in practice most employees do not. Of course if you are unsure about the meaning or effect of some aspect of the contract then by all means it is wise to get advice from a lawyer.
I trust the above assists your understanding.
Please rate my answer so that I can be paid for my answer.
Please not I am only paid if you rate me with three or more smileys/stars. Funds paid to me come out of the funds you previously paid to Just Answer and it costs you nothing extra to give me a positive rating.
Patrick H. and other Australia Law Specialists are ready to help you