How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sean Your Own Question
Sean, Experienced lawyer
Category: Australia Law
Satisfied Customers: 855
Experience:  Law degree with 1st class honours from Australian National University.
Type Your Australia Law Question Here...
Sean is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello. I am a private consulant working in the Horticultural

This answer was rated:

Hello. I am a private consulant working in the Horticultural industry. Recently I have been interested in a job overseas, but working for a company based in Australia.
In the consultancy agreement there is the clause: "Consultant shall indemnify and hold harmless Company, its directors, officers and employees, from and against any and all liabilities, claims, damages, costs and expenses (including attorneys’ fees) arising out of or resulting from any claim, action, or other proceeding, based upon Consultant’s acts or omissions in connection with the performance of its obligations herein".
Can you clarify the meaning of this clause?

Hello and thank you for your question.

This clause is to cover the company in the event that someone brings a claim against them for something you do (or don't do) in your capacity as a consultant. If someone sues the company for this, the company will then be able to sue you and require you to pay any damages, costs etc related to the claim. It means that full responsibility with rest with you, rather than the company.

Usually a consultant would hold appropriate insurance to cover them in the event that such a claim is made. You want to make sure that the insurance coverage covers claims by the company, as well as by third parties, to ensure you are covered in the event that this occurs.

Please let me know if you need any more information.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks Shaun. my wife and I have set up a company of which we are directors. we have worked in this business for some years in various countries. the current agreement is between a Horticultural service and investment company and my company. My company is a service provider and has no assets. If there was any litigation, would only my company be liable, or me personally? I take your point about insurance and will look into this presently.

Hi Pete,
If you are working on behalf of your company this will give you much more protection, because if they want to sue you they will only be able to sue the company and not come after your assets personally. There are very few circumstances were they would be able to come after you personally, eg trading insolvently or criminal conduct.
Sean and other Australia Law Specialists are ready to help you