How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Leon Your Own Question
Leon, Solicitor
Category: Australia Law
Satisfied Customers: 44366
Experience:  BEc Dip Ed, Dip Law (SAB) MTax (UNSW)
Type Your Australia Law Question Here...
Leon is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi, The local Ford dealership has charged my pensioner mother

This answer was rated:


The local Ford dealership has charged my pensioner mother over $2000 to replace a headlight switch and an ignition barrel. Neither fixed the problems the car had. We sent it to a local auto electrician and they fixed the problems for under $400. Where do we stand with the dealership. They will not discuss the matter further. I offered to pay a reasonable fee for the work they had done but was told to pay the full amount. Obviously my mother cannot afford this. Do we have any options?

Good Afternoon,

Thank you for your question. To Introduce myself I am a sydney based Solicitor and will do my best to provide you with relevant information to assist you.

The local auto electrician that repair the problem can he confirm whether what the dealership deed had any bearing on the problem at all?

If you believe your mother has been scanned by the dealership, you can take the matter to the Department of fair trading in Queensland and complain about them.

Before you do anything though, you need to see whether the auto electrician is prepared to provide something in writing that will confirm what the problem with the vehicle was, and the repairs done by the dealership had nothing to do with rectifying it.

If you can get this type of information, then you can approach the dealership and request a refund of your mother's money and if they refuse advise them you are taking this matter further and will also be taking it to the media and making sure everybody knows how they treat pensioners.

You should also find from an alternative dealer the cost of the parts that they replaced you have a greater evidence on whether they ripped your mother off or not.

I believe the fee they are charging appears to be excessive but I don't know what the parts are worth.

Have a giving you a breakdown and an itemised account as to what they are charging for everything?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The auto electrician provided details on the faults and what they did to rectify them they have provided a detailed invoice. The dealerships invoice shows parts and labour only. The labour content from the dealership was over $1600.00
Good Afternoon,

Does the auto electrician believe that the work done by the dealership was of no relevance to the problem that the vehicle had?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thats right
Good Afternoon,

In that case I suggest that you see if the auto electrician can give you that in writing, and then you have a case against the dealership for ripping your mother.

I would also contact other dealerships and ascertain the price of the parts so that you have an idea what the charging you for Labour this will also enhance your case.

Once you have all of this information you then go back to the dealer and try to negotiate and if they refuse you then take the matter further by reporting them to the Department of fair trading in Queensland and if you wish I would also report them to the media.

I hope this is of assistance. If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know before leaving any feedback.

If I have assisted please do not forget to leave me with positive feedback.

Leon and other Australia Law Specialists are ready to help you