How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
Category: Australia Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Type Your Australia Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I had my DOB incorrect on my British passport. I got my british

Customer Question

I had my DOB incorrect on my British passport. I got my british passport in year 2009. I had provided my indian passport at the time which also contained incorrect DOB.

I have my original birth certificate which shows correct DOB.

Last year, I applied for changes to my certificate of naturalisation for the same purpose because that's a pre-requisite for changes to passport.

Home office has informed me that they will consider endorsement and my application is currently being processed.

Now, it's been over 2 months to this. And, today when I called in to check with border agency they told me that there are no updates and it's not certain if the changes will definitely be carried out.

But, before making a payment they had wrote to me that they will consider endorsement.

I am confused about this. Would they do the change by looking at my birth certificate? If yes, then why are they taking so much time and how much time they usually take in these kind of matters?
and, what if they refuse to do the change? Do I have any alternatives to fight my ground?

I know it's my fault that I provided indian passport while applying in the first place, when I should have actually got my indian passport corrected. But, due to the fact that indian passport could have been only amended in India and I couldn't visit india at that time, I decided to go along with incorrect details.

please guide me as to what i can do.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 5 years ago.
Hello,I am afraid without a court order there is not much you can do to force the Home Office to act, technically your naturalisation application could be deemed to be invalid on the grounds that you provided incorrect details about your DOB.I would suggest that you have a soft approach with the Home Office rather than a hard approach as they could act against you if they want.all the best. please click on accept
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I want you to respond to the below:


1. What is home office doing at the moment with my application? They had told me 2 months ago that they will endorse my certificate as per my birth certificate. so, why are they taking so much time?


2. What will make them to not do the corrections?


3. What is the timeline in these kind of situations?


I would be fine if they just reject my application, but, would be worried if they sue me or my right to live in uk is affected.




Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 5 years ago.

It appears that the Home Office is still dealing with your application. Unfrotunately, I cannot tell you what they are doing with it uptil now;

They may refuse to make the correction if they have a doubt about the information which I would not blame them in the circumstances;

Unfortunately, this is not a standard case and there are no defined timelines;

I suggest you write them a letter asking for an update on the status of your application. You may also lodge a formal complaint with the Home Office and/or involve your MP.

All the best. Please click Accept
Customer: replied 5 years ago.



I don't think that I have been given a satisfactory answer so far.I have no more information than I had before receiving your reply.


I was hoping to hear from someone who knows about cases such as mine and can make an educated guess about the outcome of my application to the home office.


Considering that my case is genuine, I would like to see my documents changed, and would have liked to know how long home office will take to either approve or reject my application, and what is the next step for me in case they reject my application.


Sorry, I wouldn't be able to accept this answer as i have got no new information from you.



Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 5 years ago.
I have opted out. Good luck