Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

A strata unit, had extensive termite damage, who is liable to pay?

Customer Question
In a strata unit which...

In a strata unit which has had extensive termite damage to common property and internal walls, who is responsible for payment of repairs Strata Schemes Management Act NSW 1996

Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Australia Law
7/13/2010
Solicitor: Leon, Solicitor replied 8 years ago
Leon, Solicitor
Hi JACUSTOMER-giqkefyh-

it is the responsibility of the body corporate to rectify the problem of termites.

Each unit holder has to pay their share of the the cost for rectifying the problem. If there is enough money in sinking fund then it should come out of that.

I hope this is of assistance
I will need to have your opinion where the internal walls which are within the Lot and not defined as common property are damaged does the o.corp pay? and if yes on what basis.
HI JACUSTOMER-giqkefyh-

a unit owner owns from the paint in.

The building itself is common property. You can look at the strata plan and each lot is in dark black.

If you damage the internal wall then you have to repair it.

If it is damaged from outside due to water coming in it is a body corporate problem.

The creation of Common Property occurs under the Strata Schemes (Leasehold Development) Act

http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/nsw/consol_act/ssda1986351/

Here is some further information for you

http://www.strataman.com.au/strata.html#comprop

I hope this is of assistance