Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

Hi, Last year I suffered stress and made a workplace

Customer Question
Hi, Last year I suffered...

Last year I suffered stress and made a workplace complaint regarding bullying and harrassment in my office at work. The hospital I work for conducted a incomplete investigation and did not interview my personal assistant or the girl who held the job before me. Therefore they did not find enough evidence of workplace bullying. At the time of the investigation the hospital was making hundreds of jobs redundant and the so called witnesses were very frightened of losing their jobs if they spoke up. I have consequently lost my position as a medical education officer as the hospital has deemed my workplace psychologically unsafe and they are within their lawful right to not place me back in my previous position as the 2 people who were involved stay in their positions.
I am a registered nurse and have involved the XXXXXXXXX XXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXX from the beginning of the complaint last August 12, 2009. Initially I had just made an appointment with the manager of the perpetrator XXXXX XXXXXXX, who for 3 years covertly bullied me, my manager XX. XXXXXX XXXXXX was aware of the problems I had with XXXXX and at times told me to pull my head in, as he quoted me he would have no demarcation lines in his office and this was not a Wharf! So towards August 2009 I stopped going to my boss for help and support as I did not get any. My health started to decline, I was having trouble sleeping and was really irritable with my family until I suffered a nervous breakdown, despite confronting XXXXX XXXXXXX and asking him to stop going behind my back and if he had a problem with me to directly address me to my face. He also would try and block my work practices unbeknownst to XX. XXXXXXX. In the end I capitulated due to stress. I have not yet made a complete recovery. I applied for another Job in January this year through the Medical School built at the back of the hospital I work in and did not get an interview, despite having 3 years of Medical Education Experience and studying for a Masters in Education and ecperience in all aspects of Clinical simulation. The job title was Clinical Skills Lecturer XXXXXXX University. I found out from the girl who got the job that XX. XXXXXX XXXXXX was on the interviewing committee. I did not even get an interview, and the person who got the job has no educational experience. I used to work with her in Melbourne. My young family ( 2 children ages 8 & 10) live out of XXXXXXX on the XXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXX XX kms at XXXXXXXXXX, so driving to Melbourne for work is not a sustainable option. I have been quite defamed in XXXXXXX by XX. XXXXXXX, and have noticed now some of the Medical Consultants snide remarks, obviously doctors sticking together and shaming the nurse that made the complaint about the inappropriate behavior in the first place. I am worried about our financial future as we have 3 different mortgages and primary school aged children and I will be severely disadvantaged for employment in the future because of WHO (XX. XXXXXXX) I have made the complaint about. He incidently refused to mediate in January 2010. So did XXXXX XXXXXXX.

Can you please advise my legal rights, including common law rights on Workcover. I am currently not working as a result of the stress of the incidents and subsequent mishandling of the complaint. My family have suffered incredibly financially because of this.

Thanks XXXXXXX

Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Australia Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
7/7/2010
Solicitor: Peter G., Solicitor replied 8 years ago
Peter G.
Peter G., Solicitor

Hello XXXXXXX. Have you made any Workcover claim at all?

Yes and it has been accepted I am currently off work on workcover after returning to work on the 23rd of November on a XXXXXX to XXXX XXXX which involved working as a project officer introducing and writing a new emergency code XXXX for the hospital. It was a large project spread over three different sectors of XXXXXX XXXXXX (XXX XXXXXXX XXXXXXXX). the Acute site, the XXXX XXXX and Rehabilitation Site and the Community Sites that are numerous. During this time I was asked to do some work as a Medical Education Officer (MEO ) as I was responsible for the Pediatric Life Support Study day which I ran twice a year as an MEO. Now I have been offered another job in OH&S and I am not happy with it as I have to change pathways from Education into OH&S an area I am not interested in. I didn't do anything wrong but lodge a complaint against 2 men in my office. I wanted a good outcome not to lose my job.

If your question is about Workcover rights, then I would be seeing a solicitor about this. Apart from weekly payments and medical and like expenses, you have potential rights to a no fault lump sum payment, and to common law rights if you can establish fault - but your solicitor will advise you about this - fault is much easier to establish than you might think. Common law will give you full compensation for weekly payments into the future and for pain and suffering; but it is very complicated and you need to see a solicitor who does this sort of work all the time - I cannot emphasise this enough. I will come back in a minute with a solicitor who will know what they are doing.

XXXXXX & XXXXXX have an office in XXXXXXX:- I would contact them, they know what they are doing in this very complex area.

XXXXXXX

Legal help line – 1XXX XXX XXX

Reception - (XX) XXXX XXXX

Level 1 - Harrison Place, XXX XXXXX Street, XXXXXXX XXX XXX

Please come back if you have any further query.

Thank-you for your help, what I really need to establish is the fact that I have lost my job and had the ANF challenge this in the commission which came out with 3 unfavourable options for me.

Also that XXXXXXX is such a small place this doctor has defamed me in such a way I will not get a job in Medical Education with the university or the hospital again. And I did nothing wrong but accuse XXXXX XXXXXXX of Bullying and XX XXXXXX XXXXXXX my boss of not doing anything about it. He is well known for sticking his head in the sand. And has been quite self serving as far as accrediting (unfairly, country hospitals where he would hope to work as a consultant when he retires from XXXXXXX.

I appreciate this, but your original question was about Workcover. I would suggest you consult a solicitor in relation to the Workcover questions first. The Workcover issues are likely to give a more satisfying solution than the employment issues - employment issues rarely give complete satisfaction. So I think the Workcover should be addressed first.