Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

i am in a de facto relactionship for aprox 14 years i had my…

Customer Question
i am in a de...
i am in a de facto relactionship for aprox 14 years i had my own house owed 45-000 dollars she had her house same amount i paid off the ballance to the understanding the two of the three kids stay ther for a year and save some money to buy there one place but never hapend now the boy been there for the time recons he buy the house but just lives the high life only about the last year is paying 100 dollars a week rent we pay rates and insurance im so sick of the relansionship can i draft an order so she cant touch my estate
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Australia Law
6/27/2010
Solicitor: Peter G., Solicitor replied 8 years ago
Peter G.
Peter G., Solicitor
If you have been in a de facto relationship for 14 years, you will be subject to similar property division considerations that are involved with family law property division cases. You can enter into an agreement but you cannot force your partner into unfair terms. Your partner will have acquired an interest in all property acquired during the relationship, even if she didn't make any direct financial contribution.

Is this the information you were seeking?
ok then if we seperate then all propety should be consolated and be divided should it not
Well yes, you can divide in whichever way you both like; there is no need to go anywhere near the law. But if you want it to become binding you will need to have it in writing. You will probably need to see a solicitor to do this. But you can present the solicitor with an agreed plan.