Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

i have recently been contacted by a credit firm whom have informed…

Customer Question
i have recently been contacted...
i have recently been contacted by a credit firm whom have informed me that i have an outstanding debt going back approx 9 years. they have told me that i have been blacklisted as of 2007. i have asked them for a copy of the contract. which all they sent me was the page of which i had sighned, what i was wanting was the amount i had taken out on finance. i do not dispute that i had taken out this contract as the signature is clearly mine. i have no dispute on paying out what the original contract amount was for. what they have informed me is that the interest is accumulating at some 33%, and i am now owing some $5,500. i can not recall the original loan amount and no longer have any documentation. what are my legal rights in this matter?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Australia Law
6/25/2010
Solicitor: Brisbane-Lawyer, Solicitor - Admitted 2005 replied 8 years ago
Brisbane-Lawyer
Brisbane-Lawyer, Solicitor - Admitted 2005
If the debt is nine years old, then they are statutorily barred from collecting it through the Courts. The Limitation of Acts Act limits these kinds of actions to 6 years. So it will be very important to look at when the debt actually fell due, as that's when the clock starts ticking.

If my answer has been helpful or informative, please press the Accept button. I am also able to answer further questions after accepting.