Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

My ex partner and I were together for 8 years, having 2 children…

Customer Question
My ex partner and I...
My ex partner and I were together for 8 years, having 2 children in the past 6 yrs. Upon seperation 9 months ago we had accumlated approximately $30k in debt to which he paid half of, the remaining $15k he agreed to pay of which he and his new fiance now claim "your name, your debt" as it is a credit card in my name. I trusted him and by no means had him sign anything. We did not have any savings or anything of great value (basic house contents, he took his car and left me with a car that broke a week after seperating). Is there any way of having him pay even just a little more of this debt as it was accumulated whilst we were together on living expenses and misc debt? I am a single mother with 2 children, 2 jobs and studying at the same time and it is impossible for me to make any attempt to pay this when it is so high I am simply going backwards.

Which also brings me to the question of what are my rights in regards XXXXX XXXXX support? He pays $140p/w but I know that his income has increased in the last 4 months. Is there anything that I can make additional claims on? He and his fiance are punishing me for no reason, I have never stopped him from seeing his children - they are the reason why I have not retaliated to his psychological abuse but I realise that I now need to help myself. If you could please shed some light on the situation it would be greatly appreciated.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Australia Law
6/23/2010
Solicitor: Brisbane-Lawyer, Solicitor - Admitted 2005 replied 8 years ago
Brisbane-Lawyer
Brisbane-Lawyer, Solicitor - Admitted 2005
[QUOTE] Is there any way of having him pay even just a little more of this debt as it was accumulated whilst we were together on living expenses and misc debt? [/QUOTE]
You can pursue property division orders in the Family Court of Australia, but that's about the best you can do.

[QUOTE] Which also brings me to the question of what are my rights in regards to child support? He pays $140p/w but I know that his income has increased in the last 4 months. [/QUOTE]
You've got to tell the child support agency about his increased salary and they will then re-assess him for additional child support.