Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

my employer has asked for a federal police check in view of…

Customer Question
my employer has asked for...
my employer has asked for a federal police check in view of the new federal finance laws coming into play on 1/7.how far back does the police check go and does certain crimes go back further, say over 20 years
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Australia Law
6/22/2010
Solicitor: Brisbane-Lawyer, Solicitor - Admitted 2005 replied 8 years ago
Brisbane-Lawyer
Brisbane-Lawyer, Solicitor - Admitted 2005
[QUOTE] how far back does the police check go and does certain crimes go back further, say over 20 years [/QUOTE]
It goes back to the date of your birth. Once convicted of an offence, it stays on your record indefinitely. That said, after five years convictions become spent if you don't have further brushes with the law, meaning they do not have to be declared.

I realize that this answer may not be entirely to your liking, and I regret being the bearer of information that you really don’t want to hear. But it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me if I were to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. As such, if my answer has been helpful or informative to you, even if it wasn't necessarily what you wanted to hear, please hit the Accept button.

Brisbane-Lawyer
thank you for your help,your point 'spent' and do not have to be declared,they will still show on the report though?
alex ,thank you for your help. your point 'spent' and do not have to be delared,will they still show on the police check report though
[QUOTE] thank you for your help,your point 'spent' and do not have to be declared,they will still show on the report though? [/QUOTE]
That's correct.