Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

My mother has been admitted to the Acute Menal Health Unit…

Customer Question
My mother has been admitted...
My mother has been admitted to the Acute Menal Health Unit at Coffs Harbour Health Campus. She is suffering severe depression and is about to commence electrical shock treatment for the second time in her life of 73yrs. She has been married to my Step Father for the last 22 years, he is 85yrs old. My Step brother from Sydney whom visits once a year for a day spoke to his father and advised him that he was coming to Coffs this weekend to go to a Mum and Cliffs solicitor to chanage Cliffs will and ensure his fathers well-being. He also intends to take Cliff back to Sydney for a length of time. I work for DOCS and can continue to visit mum and care for her. I am concerned that my mothers rights for a quiality future will not be ensured eg: a nursing home, care. Can he just walk away and leave her with nothing after 22 years of marrigae? What can I do to protect her at this point in time. Please advise. Thanking you Susan Ridley
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Australia Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/22/2010
Solicitor: Brisbane-Lawyer, Solicitor - Admitted 2005 replied 8 years ago
Brisbane-Lawyer
Brisbane-Lawyer, Solicitor - Admitted 2005
[QUOTE] Can he just walk away and leave her with nothing after 22 years of marrigae? [/QUOTE]
No, but what you need to do is apply for a guardianship order from the Tribunal over your mother - or if she is still of sound mind, then she can give you a Power of Attorney.

Once you have either of those things, you can then see a family lawyer and begin property division proceedings in the Family Court of Australia to ensure she isn't left out in the cold.

If my answer has been helpful or informative, please press the Accept button. I am also able to answer further questions after accepting.

Brisbane-Lawyer
Thankyou very much. How quickly must I act on your advise as my step brother has an appointment with our family solictor this Friday or Monday?
You should see a family lawyer as soon as possible to protect your mother's interest. I wouldn't delay if I were in your shoe's.

Edited by Alex on 6/22/2010 at 3:22 AM EST