Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I am going through a divorce. My lawyers have started to subpoena…

Customer Question
I am going through a...
I am going through a divorce. My lawyers have started to subpoena my soon to be ex-spouses banks and accountants as he refuses to take on any financial responsibility for his kids and refuses to give up any information about his finances. After his accountant received the subpoena, he said he would expect me to pay for his time. Is this something that is done or expected? I have never heard of this before. Of course, I cannot afford to pay for any of this. Most of what I am paying for is a loan from relatives including my living expenses for me and my kids.
Could you tell me what the jurisdication is in this case where subpoenas are concerned. Thank you
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Australia Law
6/21/2010
Solicitor: Brisbane-Lawyer, Solicitor - Admitted 2005 replied 8 years ago
Brisbane-Lawyer
Brisbane-Lawyer, Solicitor - Admitted 2005
[QUOTE] Could you tell me what the jurisdication is in this case where subpoenas are concerned. [/QUOTE]

These types of costs of usually met by the party seeking the information. I'm sorry, and I wish I had better news for you.

I realize that this answer may not be entirely to your liking, and I regret being the bearer of information that you really don’t want to hear. But it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me if I were to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. As such, if my answer has been helpful or informative to you, even if it wasn't necessarily what you wanted to hear, please hit the Accept button.