Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

Working for last 5 years as a New Car Manager in the reputable…

Customer Question
: Working for last 5...
: Working for last 5 years as a New Car Manager in the reputable Company in Melbourne. In 2009 achieved ALL TARGETS and performed well. As the Manager I am well respected and appreciated by my sales staff and my colleagues in the Group. I have to say that I was never appreciated by my Dealer Principal and he never had a time or some Plan in Place to assist me. Reason for this could be that he is also a Spare Parts General Manager and that takes a lot of his time and focus from this duty.
4 months ago, when I was on holiday, new job was advertised for a General Manager Position.
Since the appointment of the General manager i am constantly exposed to mental abuse and treated as someone who knows nothing. From the first meeting I was treated like someone who newer did anything good and someone who is responsible for everything. They expect me to do anything and everything by myself and to be responsible for running the Department without a basic support. Last week, the owner of the next door Car Yard told me that General Manager told him, when he started, that he will "Clean the lot" and that he knows how to do it.
I feel constantly under the pressure and everything I do is not good enough.
I am being compared with "some Companies" that are doing... I know that the same Dealership on the other side of the City and belongs to the same Group is below our results and I do know that my results comparing with the other Dealers in the same area , are above average. I do know that this is a planned strategy to force me to resign and leave the COMPANY (Used car Manager resigned 3 months ago )
My results:
My salesperson was the best salesperson in the State for 2009
Our Dealership delivered an average of 77 New cars per month
My sales people are No1,2,4 in the Group at the moment...
Dealer Principal and GM asked me what help do I need and ...Everything I asked for wasn't done. Do I have any chance to change my situation, do I have a case! Rade
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Australia Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/20/2010
Solicitor: Peter G., Solicitor replied 8 years ago
Peter G.
Peter G., Solicitor
Why are you being treated like this if you are performing so well - isn't your performance the botXXXXX XXXXXne in a commercial organisation?
Dear XXXXX, of course that this should be the case. Not always, however! Our results started going down since the General Manager is appointed. Now, I have 2 people to tell me what I should and shouldn't be doing , and no one to help me, as the Team that I have is very young and inexperienced. Rome wasn't build in a day - and I can't build it on my own either.
To try to help you to get better picture I will try to explain briefly what I do.
Every new car dealership has a retail and fleet sales - although I asked for it a numerous times we never had a fleet sales. New, same brand dealership, with the retail and strong fleet department is opened 3 months ago 15 km from us and they take almost 30% of business that we use to have before. Instead of developing adequate strategy and establishing a fleet sales department to combat this new situation I am getting blamed for everything. All other dealers make at least 30 - 40 % of their sales through their Fleet sales Department.
As far as the retail sales are concerned we are in top 10 in Australia for last 2 years (260 Dealers) I do not believe that my Dealer Principal ever had a time to really see what I am doing as he is preoccupied with his other duty. My answer would be that it is not enough money to pay Dealer Principal, General Manager and Used and the new car Manager. To hard - I am starting to question myself!!!
Maybe i should just leave and avoid all the stress I have at the moment!

Kind regards!

Rade
Hi Rade. Well, yes, that was exactly my thought. Normally the only thing you can do in these situations is sit down and talk to those who are expressing (unjustified) dissatisfaction. This sounds like it is not going to get you very far. So, why can't you get employed elsewhere, where you will be appreciated for what you do. Your record at the current dealership should hold you in good stead. And you will be much happier, which is by far the most important thing. //// Is getting alternate employment a realistic possibility?
Yes it is!. The only reason that I don't want to change my job at the moment is the health of my wife. She is not to well and this could affect her even more. But, yes, I do agree with you that I should move on and go somewhere where people would appreciate my work. I do know that I am making a difference and that somewhere else I should be much better off. I just do not like changes to much and I do feel like fish in the water in this area! I will wait to see how will my wife go with her tests and than i will make a move.
By the way - 2 people in the used cars department resigned. So, it is not only me!!!
Thank you so much for your advice. I do not like my position at all, but: I have to take in account my current situation and everything that goes with it - Is it worth fighting for something that you do not like anyway just to have win at the end!?
I spend 6 years of my life here and I got them from 30 to 100 cars a month - time to go....

Thank you so much for your advice and your assistance - has helped me a lot!
I just hate unjust...Sometimes you have to lose the battle to win the war....

Regards!

Rade
Good. I see a bright future for you. Best of luck.