Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

i am a full time employee and had to have today of work because…

Customer Question
i am a full time...
i am a full time employee and had to have today of work because of family issue and i have been told not to come to work monday is that legal so they have to pay my wage for monday what are my rights
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Australia Law
6/19/2010
Solicitor: Brisbane-Lawyer, Solicitor - Admitted 2005 replied 8 years ago
Brisbane-Lawyer
Brisbane-Lawyer, Solicitor - Admitted 2005
[QUOTE] is that legal so they have to pay my wage for monday what are my rights [/QUOTE]
They do have to pay you for Monday.

If they don't, then you have grounds to make a complaint to the Fair Workplace Ombudsman on the basis that your workplace rights have been violated. I recommend that you call 13 13 94 and make a complaint about this.

Once you have given the Fair Workplace Ombudsman a call, you should talk to your employer and tell your employer you have spoken to the Fair Workplace Ombudsman and that you believe your workplace rights have been trampled, but that you are still willing to negotiate a resolution to this problem. However, if this doesn't work, then you will need to put your concerns in a letter to your employer (be sure to keep a copy).

If the the letter doesn't get the result you are after, then you need to fill out a complaint form which can be posted to you from the Fair Workplace Ombudsman. When you call 13 13 94 ask them to send out to you such a form.

Your complaint may result in an investigator coming to see your employer just to make sure workplace laws have been complied with! Arbitrarily telling an employee not to come in is against the law, so if the investigator finds that this has occurred - fines and other penalties could be applied.

If my answer has been helpful or informative, please press the green Accept button. I am also able to answer further questions after accepting.
Brisbane-Lawyer
also after i was told not to come in on monday i sent a txt message asking wether i still had a job and they refused to answer can they sack me just like that also can they change my job which i think they mite do and pay me less of a salary that i recieve now i am just trying to prepare myself for what i have seen them do to other employees
If they try to sack you over this, then you would have excellent grounds to make an unfair dismissal claim against them. But you will need to see an employment law lawyer right away if that happens because the windown of opportunity to make such a claim is only 14 days now.