Have Australian law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

hi. what right do i have to holding a companies stock until…

Customer Question
hi. what right do i...
hi. what right do i have to holding a companie's stock until they make good on a loan that is due to me. I lent a sum of money on a short term basis and am yet to get it back. I also have a huge shed which was being used to store their product. I have since left the company as an employee, and they have taken a new distributor in Melbourne. I have released the stock to go except for the value of which is owed to me.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Australia Law
6/17/2010
Solicitor: Brisbane-Lawyer, Solicitor - Admitted 2005 replied 8 years ago
Brisbane-Lawyer
Brisbane-Lawyer, Solicitor - Admitted 2005
At law you would have what is known as a lien over the property. What you need to do to protect yourself, however, is have your lawyer write them a letter stating you will sell the stock to recover the outstanding loan amount if the loan is not paid off by X date.

That way, if the police come knowing on your door, you can show them a copy of the letter which should be sufficient for them to tell the company to pursue the matter through the Court.

If my answer has been helpful or informative, please press the Accept button. I am also able to answer further questions after accepting.